We haven’t had much of a fall this year. We didn’t have much of a summer for that matter, either. Looking out the window, Old Man Winter is flexing his muscle to try to hone in on fall’s delicate balance between warm days and chilly nights with its symphony of sunset hues and crunchy leaves. Time for cream of broccoli soup that’s as good for you as it is tasty!
The meteorologists that be are predicting a long, cold, snowy winter for the Canadian prairies this year. Despite missing out on more of my favourite season (fall), the upside is a long, cold, snowy soup season! I love eating seasonally, and so does my body. Salads and cold soups fill my summer months, but come fall, or when Mother Nature skips right to winter, warming, hearty soups reign supreme in this house.
Cream of Broccoli Soup
I’ve always liked a good creamy soup. My dairy-free self still does. This recipe uses full fat coconut milk to make up for the lack of dairy, and it is ever so successful. This healthy cream of broccoli soup fits a variety of nutritional and dietary needs and tastes better than any canned commercial variety. As a busy mum, I’m all about the quick and easy recipes, and this one certainly fits that bill. It’s about as much of a one-pot meal as you can make and only takes three steps.
For those looking to save time, this recipe scales and freezes really well, making this cream of broccoli soup an excellent batch cooking recipe. For an added meal-time boost, leftover roast chicken pairs really well with this low carb cream of broccoli soup. You can check out my post on Roast Hen for direction. You can either serve the chicken as a snack on the side or chop finely and mix into the soup. Next time you’re looking to fill that creamy soup craving, look no further than this amazing cream of broccoli soup. It will warm your heart and fill your belly.
Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 2 tbsp lard or other cooking fat of choice – coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil, etc.
- 1-2 large ribs celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 white or yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth substitute vegetable broth for vegan/vegetarian option
- 2 lbs broccoli, chopped
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- pinch nutmeg or mace (for AIP)
- 1 cans coconut milk
- olive oil for garnish
- In a large soup pot, heat the lard on medium-high heat. Add garlic, onions, and celery and saute until soft.
- Add broth, broccoli, salt, thyme, and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer and cook until broccoli is quite soft.
- Remove from heat and add coconut milk. Adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Use hand blender to lightly break up the bigger chunks of broccoli. I prefer my cream of broccoli soup a little on the chunkier side, but if you like it smoother, puree a little longer. This step is optional